Chicken Chilaquiles are an authentic Mexican breakfast that are so savory and packed full of flavor you’re going to want them every day!
Like I said, chilaquiles are an authentic Mexican breakfast! They’re basically tortillas, smothered in tomato sauce with a bunch of spices, with fried eggs and chicken!
One of the best things about chicken chilaquiles is how customizable they are. I personally like to add a little scoops of salsa and sour cream on top! Or if you love avocado, put some slices on!
But honestly, you can add whatever you like!
MORE MEXICAN INSPIRED RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Recipe
- 20 Minute Meal: This recipe is so quick and easy it only takes 20 minutes!
- Easy Ingredients: You only need 10 easy ingredients to make this savory breakfast. You might even have them in stock already!
- Family Friendly: The whole family will love this easy, yummy breakfast, especially the kiddos!
- Adaptable: Can easily adapt to meet dietary needs.
- Shredded Chicken
- Tortilla Chips
- Tomato Sauce
- Shredded Chicken – Shred your chicken to ensure chicken in every bite.
- Tortilla Chips – For ease, use chips. If you want to, you could use tortillas cut up into quarters.
- Tomato Sauce – Tomato sauce is what makes these chilaquiles rojos, you could use a green chile sauce for chilaquiles verde.
How to make Chilaquiles Rojos
These are the basic steps for making Chicken Chilaquiles. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
STEP 1: Sauce
Combine tomato sauce and spices together in a small bowl. Put this mixture in a pan over high heat.
Add chicken and stir to combine.
STEP 2: Tortilla Chips & Cover
Add tortilla chips and cover while you prepare the eggs.
STEP 3: Fry Eggs
Crack each egg individually into a pan and fry on both sides.
Once the eggs are fried, place them over the chicken mixture. Serve and enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE CHILAQUILES AHEAD OF TIME
Season the tomato sauce ahead of time! This doesn’t cut out a lot of time but it’s super easy to store in the fridge until you’re ready with the chicken and eggs.
HOW TO STORE THIS CHILAQUILES RECIPE
Store in an airtight container in the fridge! Make sure to eat the leftovers within 2 days, the longer they sit the soggier they’ll get.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
Freeze in freezer bags! Freezer bags will stack so it’ll save you some freezer space. Chilaquiles can be frozen for up to 1 month.
CAN I REHEAT CHILAQUILES?
Sure, BUT, expect them to be a little soggy or even mushy. They’re best when they’re fresh. If you do want to reheat, throw them in the oven or air fryer to help keep some of the crunch.
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe is already gluten free! Since tortilla chips are made out of corn, they’re gluten free!
Sure! Use whatever protein you like, just remember to shred it.
Yes! This recipe is super easy to double or half!
You can add so many things like pico de gallo, hot sauce, cheese or queso, cilantro, salsa, corn and jalapenos!
- 2 lbs shredded chicken
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup corn tortilla chips
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Combine tomato sauce and spices in a small bowl. Place this mixture in a pan over high heat.
- Add chicken and stir to combine.
- Add tortilla chips and cover while you prepare the eggs.
- Crack each egg individually into a pan and fry on both sides.
- Once the eggs are fried, place them over the chicken mixture and serve!