This Cajun Chicken Salad is perfect if you’re looking for a twist on your typical chicken salad. It takes 30 minutes or less to make this tasty chicken salad that’ll have you going back for more!
It ends up being so juicy with a little crunch from the celery at the end, it’ll have your mouth watering.
You know how sometimes if you get store bought chicken salad it ends up being a little dry once you put it in a sandwich? Well, the Cajun Chicken Salad isn’t! That’s what I absolutely love about this recipe, since I can’t stand a dry sandwich.
MORE EASY CHICKEN RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Recipe
There’s so many great things about this recipe since it’s so adaptable and easy to make.
- 30 Minute Meal: It only takes 30 minutes or less to get this from prepping to being on your plate.
- Easy Ingredients: To make this version of chicken salad you only need 7 ingredients, and one is just water!
- Family Friendly: Kids will love the little cubes of cheese hidden throughout their sandwich!
- Adaptable: You can make it without the cheese and substitute a dairy free mayonnaise to make the whole thing dairy free.
- Makes Great Leftovers: Chicken salad stores in the fridge well for a few days for some grab-and-go sandwiches for work or school!
- Cubed cheese
- Chopped celery and chives
- Season salt
- Cubed cheese is a great addition to a basic chicken salad to add a more variety of flavors.
- Chopped celery and chives will help give a crunchy texture sprinkled throughout each bite.
- Season salt helps take plain old chicken to a whole new level.
How to make Cajun Chicken Salad
These are the basic steps for making Cajun Chicken Salad. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
STEP 1: Cooking the chicken
Add chicken and water to a pot and put on high heat. Let boil and cook at a simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Remove from heat and strain off all the water.
STEP 2: Prepping the chicken
Shred your chicken with a fork and knife or grab a hand mixer. The hand mixer will do the exact same thing in a fraction of the time!
STEP 3: Combine ingredients
Add shredded chicken, celery and seasoning to a small mixing bowl and stir to combine. Then, add in the mayonnaise and stir until combined.
Gently fold in the cheese cubes last and serve!
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Store in an air tight container in the fridge. It will keep for a 3-4 days.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
Store in a freezer bag or air tight container. It will keep for up to 3 months.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
Cut up your celery, chives and cheese while your chicken is cooking. Shred your chicken and store all of it in the fridge in separate bags or containers until you’re ready to combine everything.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Poultry seasoning will give it more of a classic chicken-y taste.
Yes! Doubling it will be easier than halving, just remember to properly store leftovers!
What to Serve with Cajun Chicken Salad
Cajun Chicken Salad
- 2 Whole Chicken Breasts
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Chopped Celery
- ½ cup Cubed Cheddar Cheese
- ⅛ cup Chopped Chives
- Add chicken and water to a medium sized pot over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook at a simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Remove chicken from the stove and drain off the broth.
- Using a fork and knife, or (which is my favorite way to shred chicken) grab your hand mixer and shred your chicken with it.
- Add shredded chicken, celery and seasoning to a small mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add mayonnaise to the bowl and stir until combined.
- Fold cheese into the mixture and serve!