Black Bean Chicken Chile Verde Soup is so easy to make and is the best of both worlds… the Mexican food world and the soup world!
One of the nice things about this recipe is that it almost tastes better on day two! It’s really nice to take it to work or school for lunch the next day because it’s super easy to warm up!
MORE SOUP RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Recipe
- 30 Minute Meal: From start to finish, this only takes 30 minutes!
- Easy Ingredients: All found in pantry? Only 5 ingredient? Etc..
- Family Friendly: Everyone in the family will love this hearty soup!
- Adaptable: Can easily adapt it to meet your dietary needs.
- Makes Great Leftovers: So easy to reheat!
- Green Chilis
- Chicken Breast
- Tomatillos – These are like green tomatoes! They’re used in a lot of Mexican dishes and have almost a citrusy taste.
- Green Chilis – Use green chilis to add a little bit of spice!
- Chicken Breast – Use boneless chicken breasts!
How to make Black Bean Chicken Chile Verde Soup
These are the basic steps for making Black Bean Chicken Chile Verde Soup. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
STEP 1: Cook Chicken
In a small pot over medium heat, add the chicken broth, chicken, and spices and bring to a simmer.
STEP 2: Chop
While the chicken is warming, dice the onion and chop the tomatillo into 1/4-inch pieces. Add the onion and tomatillo to the pot and stir well.
Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
STEP 3: Finishing Touches
Add black beans and chilis, then remove from the heat.
Chop the cilantro and add it to the soup as a garnish. Serve and enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE BLACK BEAN CHICKEN SOUP AHEAD OF TIME
Chop you onion, green chilis and cilantro ahead of time. Store in airtight containers in the fridge.
HOW TO STORE THIS CHICKEN SOUP
Let the soup cool before putting it in airtight containers. Store in the fridge and eat within a week!
HOW TO FREEZEBLACK BEAN SOUP
Scoop into freezer bags and make sure all the air gets squeezed out. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months!
HOW TO REHEAT THIS RECIPE
You can reheat either in the microwave or on the stove, let the soup thaw in the fridge first! For the microwave, heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in-between. For the stove, cook over medium heat and stir until it’s the desired temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most of this recipe is already gluten free! Be careful with store bought chicken broth, sometimes they contain gluten.
Sure! Regular tomatoes won’t give you the citrus notes that tomatillos have though.
Yes! This recipe can easily be doubled or halved!
A good way to make this black bean soup milder is by using bell peppers instead of chilis!
Add some tortilla chips on top! You could also add in cheese and sour cream for more of a taco flavor.
Black Bean Chicken Chile Verde Soup
- 2 lbs chicken breast tenders, boneless
- 1 ½ cups black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 tomatillos
- ½ cup diced green chilis, drained
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cups chicken broth
- In a small pot over medium heat, add the chicken broth, chicken, and spices. Bring to a simmer.
- While the chicken is warming, dice the onion and add it to the pot.
- Chop the tomatillo into 1/4-inch pieces and add it to the pot, stirring well.
- Chop the tomatillo into 1/4-inch pieces and add it to the pot, stirring well. Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add black beans and chilis, then remove from the heat.
- Chop cilantro and add to the soup as a garnish.