Making these Baked BBQ Chicken Wings is so fast and easy, especially if you love BBQ chicken wings as much as I do!
In this recipe you’re making your own BBQ sauce so you can make it spicier if you prefer a little heat with your chicken wings.
Since these are baked wings, rather than fried, you don’t have consistently tend to them. That’s what I love about baking rather than frying!
MORE BAKED CHICKEN RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Recipe
What makes this recipe great is that it’s easily adaptable to be beginner friendly and that it contains a lot of ingredients that you may already have laying around your kitchen!
- Easy Ingredients: Most of the ingredients you’ll need are probably already in your pantry or spice cupboard!
- Adaptable: You can make the BBQ sauce as spicy or as mild as you like, or even use a bottle of your preferred BBQ sauce.
- Chicken Wings
- Brown Sugar
- Chicken wings can be replaced with other types of chicken such as chicken thighs.
- Honey gives BBQ sauce a sweeter flavor rather than having a tangy flavor.
- Brown sugar has molasses in it which makes whatever you put it in have a more rich flavor.
How to make Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
These are the basic steps for making Baked BBQ Chicken Wings. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
STEP 1: Prep chicken and BBQ sauce
Cut your chicken wings and discard the tips. While your oven is preheating, mix together the BBQ sauce.
STEP 2: Cook the chicken
Add everything to a baking dish and bake for 25 minutes, or until the middle of the meatiest wing reaches 165 degrees and is no longer pink.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
You can easily make the BBQ sauce ahead of time and just add it to the chicken when you’re ready to bake, just make sure it’s refrigerated!
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Make sure to use the leftovers within 3-4 days.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
Store in an airtight container. Cooked chicken is best if used within 4 months.
HOW TO REHEAT THIS RECIPE
I like to throw my leftovers in the oven! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, throw your leftovers on a baking sheet and let them cook for 10-20 minutes or until their internal temperature is 165 degrees.
Frequently Asked Questions
Substitute chicken for tofu and, if desired, replace honey with maple syrup!
Maybe. If you’re looking for a spicier BBQ sauce, hot sauce is the way to go. Honey would help keep the BBQ sauce thicker so adding too much hot sauce might make it a little runny.
Yes! You can easily double or half the recipe!
What to Serve with Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs Chicken Wings
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Ketchup
- ⅓ cup Honey
- 2 tbsp Mustard
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the chicken wings into parts, discarding the tips. I find using a sharp knife and cutting halfway through, then pulling the pieces apart is the most efficient way to cut chicken wings.
- Mix ketchup, spices and brown sugar into a small bowl.
- Add honey and mustard and mix until the BBQ sauce is thoroughly consistent throughout.
- Pour homemade BBQ sauce over the chicken wings and stir together.
- Add Chicken to the baking dish and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Check for doneness by cutting a chicken wing in the center of the dish in half to see if there is any pink. If it’s done, serve, if not, keep baking in 5 minutes increments, checking between each increment, until done.