Family mealtimes are made so much more delicious with this Lemon Chicken Piccata recipe. It has quickly become a family favorite that everyone gathered around our table enjoys.
One of the best parts of this dinner recipe, is that it is simple to create. Its simplicity doesn’t take away from the flavor though. Immersed in a yummy butter, lemon and caper sauce, this Lemon Chicken Piccata is delicious when served with pasta for an easy and flavorful dinner.
This dish is perfect for any reason, any occasion and virtually every season. Whether you are looking to cook up a romantic dinner for a special occasion like an anniversary, or simply making it for a quick and easy family dinner, you are sure to impress everyone at your table.
Easy and delicious.
So, lets get started making this awesome Lemon Chicken Piccata.
What You Need to Make Lemon Chicken Piccata
This dish doesn’t require too much in the way of fancy ingredients. In fact, many of the ingredients required are probably already in your pantry or refrigerator.
Here is what you need:
- Chicken breasts – You will want to use the boneless, skinless variety to make it easy to pound them out to about a half inch thick.
- Olive oil – This will be used to brush over the chicken.
- Chicken broth – Broth will be used to create the delicious sauce.
- Cornstarch – Use this to thicken your sauce so it nicely coats the chicken.
- Capers – These adorable little guys will add a delicious flavor to the sauce.
- Lemon juice – Fresh squeezed works best for this recipe.
- White wine – Go with a dry variety like pinot grigio.
- Butter – You can opt to use salted or unsalted, just make sure to adjust the salt added to your meal to accommodate for your choice.
- Lemon Zest – You will need about two teaspoons or one lemon’s worth of zest.
- Sage powder – This will add a delicious flavor to your chicken.
How to Make This Lemon Chicken Piccata
Brush your flattened chicken breasts with some of the olive oil, making sure to get a thin, even coating.
Sprinkle your chicken with lemon zest, salt, pepper and the sage power. It is a good idea to mix the zest and the spices together and rub them over the chicken for even coverage.
Stir your cornstarch into your broth and add the lemon juice. Mix well and add wine and the drained capers. Set this mixture aside until later.
Sauté your seasoned chicken in olive oil and butter over medium high heat in a large pan.
When the chicken is finished cooking, remove it from the pan and transfer it to a serving dish to keep it warm.
Reduce your stovetop heat to medium and add your cornstarch to the pan with any remaining oil. You will want to add a little olive oil if necessary as you want to start with at least one tablespoon.
Bring your sauce to a boil and allow it to thicken. You want it to be able to coat the back of a spoon.
Drizzle your completed sauce over the top of your cooked chicken.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, flattened to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbs capers, drained
- 1 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 Tbs butter
- 2 tsp lemon zest, about one lemon's worth
- 1 tsp sage powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Brush the flattened breasts with some of the olive oil sprinkle with lemon zest, salt, pepper, and sage. I generally mix the zest and spices together and rub them into the chicken.
- Stir the cornstarch into the broth, and add the lemon juice, wine and the drained capers and set aside.
- Saute the seasoned chicken in olive oil and butter over medium high heat. When the chicken is done, remove from the pan to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium and pour the cornstarch wine mixture into the pan with any remaining oil, add a little olive oil if needed to bring the oil in the pan to at least 1 tablespoon.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and let it thicken till it coats the back of a spoon. Drizzle the sauce over the warm chicken breasts and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 887mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 39g
Not ready to make dinner yet? Don’t forget to pin the recipe so you can find it again when you’re ready to make it.